Welcome!

This is a collection of some of my creative writing. The idea of this blog is to have somewhere to collect my work and a way to showcase my style of writing. Please feel free to browse my work. Comments are always welcome, whether they are positive, negative or constructive and if you like anything you read here, please feel free to contact me using the link provided below.

The collection is purposefully very random so as to include as much of my work as possible and will continue to grow and expand. It will contain fictional stories, poems, reviews, articles and opinions on a variety of subjects that I've written over the years. I hope you enjoy browsing through the posts here!

Please feel free to comment on anything; you don't need to sign in, just choose 'Name/URL' if you want to leave your name with your comment or choose Anonymous from the drop down menu when it asks you to choose a profile. Your comments can be positive or negative,what you liked/didn't like, what works or doesn't work, anything you want! It all helps improve my work! Thank-you and have fun!

Steven Kenny

Sunday 26 February 2012

Adventuring in Skyrim (without taking an arrow to the knee)


         Skyrim. It's announcement made me salivate like a corporate fat cat on bonus day; I just couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Being a veteran of both Morrowind and Oblivion, I knew that we'd be in for a treat. Sure, I expected it to be buggy and it certainly was (is?) that. Flying horses, broken quests, a dragon flying backwards in a circle and the hilarious moment when you first get smacked into orbit by an angry giant.
I'm still not sure that last is a bug and even if it is, it shouldn't be fixed. It's one of the funniest things I've witnessed in a video game for ages. Despite the bugs that came with it, Skyrim didn't disappoint me at all. It's immense, epic, beautiful and entertaining. A release day buy for me, I haven't stopped playing it yet and I've racked up 180 hours plus.

          In previous Elder Scrolls games, or at least the two mentioned, I have always opted to become skilled with the bow and to be a sneaky type. There's just something satisfying about being warned by an NPC how scary a bandit leader is, then dropping him without him ever knowing what hit him. I've had friends scoff and ask me what the point of playing like that is but I've never understood why you'd rush into a room with your sword flashing when you can stay hidden and dispatch bad guys from the other side of that room. It just makes more tactical sense to me. My choices of weapon and sneakiness were no different when it came to Skyrim. With one very notable exception.

          The Khajit have never been a race I had ever found myself choosing to play as before, whether it was because of the weird way they walked in Morrowind or because of the weird way they looked in Oblivion, I don't know. Their raspy voices always kind of got on my wick too, so imagine my surprise then, when I saw how good these cat folk looked in Skyrim! I decided to fly in the face of prejudice and make a Khajit character. I swiftly set about making a lithe but mean looking tiger like guy, he even has a cute scar on his nose. Did I say cute? I meant manly...a manly (cat-ly?) scar, yes. After fighting the urge for several minutes, I decided not to call him Tony and chose a more appropriate name instead; thus, Khadaj was born or rather, was captured by the Imperials and sent to be executed.

          I have to say that I haven't noticed race making much of a difference to reaction of NPC's in any recent Elder Scrolls game, aside from the words they use to address you, and Skyrim was no exception. Then again, those Nords seem to dislike anyone who isn't a Nord anyway! One thing that always makes a difference though is the racial bonuses and the Khajit ones came in very handy at the beginning of my game. The ability to see in the dark meant that I would stay up and wander the countryside until way past my bedtime and it certainly makes sneaking around monster infested caves easier and claws make punching someone in the mush far easier!

          So, the intro to the game was over. I was free, I had a weapon and some armour and a helpful blonde Nord guy stood looking at me, despite telling me he was going and that we should split up. I agreed with him about splitting up because he annoyed me and so I wandered off into Skyrim's wilderness. I wandered for quite awhile, catching butterflies and salmon and picking flowers. I killed a few wolves and practised my archery and sneaking on those easily spooked deer and elk. It was great just to wander around and discover things my own way. This is something I am glad got carried over from the other Bethesda Elder Scrolls games. I was initially concerned that the Dragon Blooded/Shouts system might make the game a little linear. I needn't have worried about that at all.

          One of the great things I liked about Oblivion was how the main plot built into a big epic story; a fight between good and evil that ended in a huge way, even if the final moments seemed a little deus ex machina (I wanted to have a go at Mehrunes Dagon, y'know?). Nevertheless, it was a great storyline and made you feel like a massive hero when you'd finished it, with a new title and some swanky armour! Imagine my surprise then when I finally made my way through the main quest on Skyrim.

          For those of you reading who have yet to finish the quest, I won't say much about it because I don't want to spoil it. What I will say is that at first I didn't think it was as good as Oblivion's main quest but after having a few weeks to think about it now, I've come to think that it's just on a different scale. Whereas Oblivion's main quest has you fighting to save the world from a very bombastic and visible threat, Skyrim takes a more personal, stripped back approach. Most of the people of Skyrim didn't even know that the return of the dragons signalled a possible end of the world scenario. So my initial disappointment has been changed to admiration for a much more stripped back (if no less impressive) main quest. I still think Oblivion's Dark Brotherhood storyline was better though!

          I have always admired the easy way in which Bethesda can make you believe in the worlds they create. Over the 180+ hours I've spent playing Skyrim, I have consistently felt like a part of the world, sometimes I've even fallen into the pattern of blacksmithing all day then going to the inn at night before retiring to bed, adventuring be damned! I know of no other game so far that has just made me want to live a regular life in its environment. It's gotten so bad that I can no longer go near Riverwood. I stayed in Riverwood for a long time, living with the people there, blacksmithing and drinking with them until the horrible day when not one, but two dragons turned up and I had to fight them. During the fight, the dragons killed most of the people in the village leaving just the kids, the drunk guy and an old woman left. I went to Whiterun and haven't returned since; seeing those people killed so carelessly by the dragons was an emotional moment for me and I don't know any other game save Skyrim that has ever done that to me.

         Ultimately, video games come and go, but like Oblivion before it, Skyrim now has a special place in my heart and I'll keep adventuring there until...well, at least until Elder Scrolls VI comes out! I await any DLC they have for the game eagerly and in the mean time, I'm continuing my search for those Words of Power! See you in the Wilderness!


Steven Kenny

No comments:

Post a Comment